WHAT WE DO
URBAN THEATRE PROJECTS IS A FIRST-CLASS THEATRE COMPANY THAT TELLS REAL-LIFE, OUTSTANDING STORIES AND IS TAKING THEM TO THE WORLD.
—THE HON. JASON CLARE, MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND
Urban Theatre Projects re-imagines what theatre can be and who it can be for. From our base in Sydney’s south west, we find new ways to tell contemporary Australian stories that show the uniquely personal within the universal.
What we make
UTP has a curatorial approach to making work, where a number of artists respond to a common theme that has a universal power to connect and/or topical currency: such as climate change or the concept of family. We work with diverse artists, across cultures and generations – writers, visual artists, filmmakers and musicians in addition to theatre-makers – to respond to the theme from their perspective, through installation, film, music or performance.
How we make it
UTP’s artistic model involves ‘matchmaking’ artists with residents, scientists, businesses or industry leaders to create the spark of invention. In this process non-artists become an essential part of an artist-led creative process, with mutually beneficial outcomes.
Where we present it
UTP presents work in theatres – in Bankstown, Adelaide, Lismore or Antwerp – and unexpected locations in Bankstown and beyond. From a laneway art gallery to a backyard film screening, a monologue on a shop corner to a large-scale performance on the street, we look for ways to engage new audiences by taking work off the stage and into the everyday.
WHO WE ARE
URBAN THEATRE PROJECTS IS ONE OF THE TOO FEW PERFORMANCE COMPANIES THAT CONTINUALLY THINK OUTSIDE THE SQUARE.
—THE SUN HERALD
Led by Artistic Director Rosie Dennis, UTP is a small hands-on team working with artists and creatives to develop and implement UTP’s annual program. Rosie Dennis is one of Australia’s foremost makers and curators of contemporary art, drawing from relationships with non-artist experts and everyday, on-the-street research.
UTP looks for new ways to create, present, distribute and finance its work; including diversifying the work UTP makes and how this work can be presented to open up new opportunities, and exploring alternative distribution models and partnerships, including digital platforms.
What we’re inspired by
- Theatre connecting people
- Finding the extraordinary in the ordinary
- Telling personal stories that have a universal quality and that remind us of our human connection
- The cultural richness of Sydney’s west; home to 1 in 3 NSW residents
- Collaborating with residents, businesses and industry leaders to collectively envision a better future
- Being innovative, nimble and responsive to opportunities
- Having a high social impact and a low environmental impact
A CULTURE OF INVENTION AND REINVENTION
Urban Theatre Projects, one of Australia’s more intrepid and experimental cross-cultural performance companies.
—THE SYDNEY MORNING HERALD
UTP has a 30-year history of creating groundbreaking work from its base in Sydney’s west. Under a handful of visionary artistic directors, the company has played a vital role in Australia’s cultural landscape.
- Sidney Myer Award recipient in recognition of the Company’s outstanding contribution to theatre
- Creator of over 85 new Australian works, including Back Home and The Fence
- A pioneer of new artistic models of social engagement
- A history of partnerships with high profile arts organisations including Sydney Festival, Centenary of Canberra, Harbourfront Centre Toronto
- A history of international touring to countries including Canada, Belgium and South Africa